Thursday, June 26, 2014

What is your potato?

Buenos Dias! Yesterday was such a wonderful day! Our first full day of working was spent at the church in Choluteca providing a free medical clinic for the village. At the clinic we check their blood pressure, tepmerature, ect and provide free medication for about a month of use. I spent my day working in the "pharmacy". after the people went through the line we were given their prescriptions to fill, pack, and call out. Let me tell you after working in this pharmacy I better understand whynit takes so long for things to be filled at the pharmacy! You have to fill it, check it, have so eone else check it, and have someone else check it, etc because with medicatin you do not want to give the wrong medication or tell them the wrong dosage. The medical clinic lasted until about 3:30. I was very proud of the team because it was HOT in that building. We were very blessed to have fans all around but it was still a bit like an oven in that building. Then we had a short VBS for the kids at the church. We told the story of Daniel and the Lions Den, sang songs, and made lion puppets. Then we had a gosple meeting. You may remember me discussing Jeremys devos from last year, and I am happy to be able to hear him speak again this year. He told us a story about his daugter who one night at dinnernrefused to eat a potato. He then discussed how in our lives we will all run into things that we may not want to do but as followers of Christ we need to be obedient and do the task. There are many things that will cause us to struggle but we have an amazing and powerful God on our side who will help us overcome anything that we run into. With Jeremys daughter her struggle came in the form of hunger because until she ate that potato it was on her plate and she did not get anything else. She went to bed hungry, she woke up hungry, but when she woke up that potato was still there waiting for her to overcome and eventually she ate it. Soon she apologized for refusuing the potato and Jeremy said he was so glad to see her grow. We have a Father who is the same way, He will always help us overcome things and he will always welcome us back with open arms. No matter what your potato is try to remember that it is yours to overcome and it will be there until you work it out, it does not just go away.
After the gosple meeting we went out for dinner at pizza hut, I was beyond happy to get some food in my belly! Then we came back to the hotek and had our devo. We finally got to sing! Singing is by far one of my favorite things about this trip, I always wish it coukd be like my first year where we sing on the bus as well but that does not happen as much anymore. Wyatt is in charge of leading our devis this week. He is focusi g his devos on obedience. Hislesson last night focused on making obedience inti a positive thought instead of a negative one. We should be glad to be obedient to our God, our family, our bosses, our spouses, etc because we love and respect those people. He also told the story of the song lerice my eat, something that I have heard before but will always be amazed by. Here is how the song goes:

Perice my ear, Oh Lord my God.
Take me to your door this day.
I will serve no other God.
Lord I'm here to stay.
For you have paid the price for me.
With your blood you ransomed me.
I will serve you eternally.
A free man I'll never be.

At a point in a slaves life they were given a choice to continue serving their master or not to. Those who choose to stay had their ear periced. We are given the choice to follow Christ and it is our choice to do so.

No comments:

Post a Comment