Wednesday, July 1, 2015

A Nice Mountain Breeze

I can not believe we only have 3 more days in Honduras. I am really not ready to be finished working here. Every year the trip seems to go faster and faster. Today we broke into three groups one group build a house, another went to the dump, and the last group went to the hospital and then distributed food out. I was in this group. 

To start off we had to load all the bags of food onto the bus. We did this as we always do by creating an assembly line between the food bags and the bus. I would say it took about 15 minutes for us to get all the food loaded onto the bus.


Isabelle was camera ready!

Then we were off to the hospital. At the hospital we broke off into three smaller groups. My group went down to the cancer ward. I spend most of my time there with a boy named Carlos. We spent some time coloring, playing with hoppy frogs, playing with cars, etc. I did not take many pictures but I do have one photo of Carlos and I. 

He was very excited about his Lightning McQueen sticker!
He was very very talkative the entire time I was with him. 
His dad also came in about half way through my time there. 

Some of the kids today were lucky enough to have their family there with them. 
Many times when we goto the hospital we will find kids who do not have any family there with them.


Around 12:30 we left the hospital and headed out to Diamante to distribute food. It was my first time handing food out in this area and it was quite a treat! I often have distributed food in Mololoa where it is a steep mountain and it is very hot. Today we were already at the top of the mountain and we had a wonderful breeze going throughout the afternoon. In all we handed over 200 bags of food. These bags normally last a family about a week and a half. 


Nick and Cheyenne handing out food. 


Pedro was learning how to drive the bus!




 Colby also took a turn driving the bus yesterday!

Marlon supervised.



When we came  back to the Mission House we ate dinner and then most people went out to play soccer. I decided to stay back and play spades with Ticky, Scott, and Nick. Scott and I had a great time teaching Nick how to play. I figure by the end of the trip he will be a pretty decent spades player. 

A few pictures from the other sites today.

House build

The school buildings we built and the desks and chairs we unloaded are already being put to good use! What a great site to see!

No comments:

Post a Comment