Thursday, July 6, 2017

A Drop-off, a Mudslide, and a Barbed Wire Fence

Another day has come and gone, which is a big thing on this trip because it is only 10 days long....This is one of the shortest trips that I have ever been on. I am not going to be ready in the slightest when day 10 comes and I have to fly back home.

Today we broke up into about 6 teams:
3 House builds
2 VBS Crews
1 Medical Crew

Today all the house builds were up in the La Tigre Rainforest. I worked on Jo Dawns house crew today, it was one of the trickier house builds that I have done here in Honduras because all 4 sides had its own challenge. One one side we had a partial hill, barbed wire fence and a sewage line, another side we had a drop off cliff, the third side we had we had another house, and the fourth side we had a VERY muddy steep hill. Not only that but we had to pass all the wood down that muddy steep hill because it was a very cramped space...in fact we were only able to make a 16X15 instead of a 16X16... and the wood did not all fit down in the area so it had to come as we needed it.
The work site

Holes by the sewage...after we dug them they filled up and made 
a muddy disqusting mess, haha. 

Caleb working on a post hole.

We not only had the challenges on each side of the house but we also had lots of wood that split very easily. We barely had enough wood get the house finished...I don't think I have ever been that close to not having enough wood to finish, haha! We also had an injury..our crew leader took a hammer to the face and cut just above her eye. She was a champ and after her daughter cleaned up the cut she was right back to work....I agree with what our nurse said when we came back to the Mission House...she is just as stubborn as Tricky Pat is.

Caleb again leveling out a post.

Working on wall number 1

Floor supports.

The crew that we had on my build was AMAZING! In Honduras sometimes you get too many chiefs and not enough indians or too many indians and no chief on a house build, but today we had the perfect combination of people. Everyone was ready and willing to do whatever was needed to be done to get the house done. We had people who simply stayed at the top of the muddy hill passing wood down, not putting a single nail in the house. I have had that job before and it is not a fun job but it is a very important job to have because without that wood no house would have been put up.

Sometimes nailing is a balancing act. Here I am on the edge of a hill, behind me is a barbed wire fence, and I'm short so I had to kick one foot onto the house and lean over to reach my nails. 

A-team!

 Don't worry mom this is completely safe..Right behind me is the drop off 😆

Sadly this is the last picture of the house that I took.
After I took this it started raining and I put my camera away and never got it back out, haha.
If I see any pictures of the finished house someone else took on FB I will add them later. 

It was another really nice day for the build. It only rained on us for about 20 minutes later in the day but was cloudy all day so it didn't get too warm. We also had the most beautiful view over the drop off cliff. It was one of the best house builds that I have ever been a part of here in Honduras.


The view from where we build the house. 

We had all of the houses done around 3:30 and came back to the mission house. La Tigre is much closer then the dump so we had a little bit more free time today before dinner then what we had yesterday. Scott and I took advantage of it and played some spades and then some 500 bid. I am so glad that Scott was able to come this year because he is my spades partner...it just isn't the same to play spades without him!

 Scott and I wore our Le Glerts team T-shirts tonight!


Devo tonight brought a lot of difficult questions to the group. Andrew talked about good christians and bad christians. He talked about the fact that there really is no bad christian because a bad christian is not a christian at all. He talked about how we act here in Honduras and how we carry it back home because in all reality we should be just as vocal about God back home as we are in Honduras.




No comments:

Post a Comment