Saturday, July 8, 2017

Surprise Party!

Another amazing day! Our teams were slightly different yesterday then they have been the other days on the trip. We broke off into 5 teams...3 house builds, VBS, and a food distribution/hospital team.

The food/hospital team was in high demand. They bring the sign up sheet out for people around 7am and people began waiting in line around 6:30 to try and get on the hospital team....I think you could say some people are starting to get a little worn out from all the house builds that we have.

I decided to get in the breakfast line and wait to sign up, therefore I was on another house build. The house builds were out near the dump again today however it was a slightly different location then in the days past.

When we arrived at the dump my team got al the tools loaded in the truck and began walking to our build site....however word did not get passed correctly because we got half way to "our" site and ran into the other torch bus who had just dropped people off at the site we were walking to. So we got back on the bus and drove back to the soccer field.....our house build ended up being just about 75 feet away from where we originally were.

Flat and muddy...but it dried out pretty quickly because it was a hot day.

I was with Scotts group again today...sorry Robin I just can't bring myself to wait in that line...Tricky's team always fills up first. Our site was at a relatively flat location, however we hit rocks in two of our post holes.

The high wall caused quite a challenge for us on this build because we had no hills or rocks to help make us taller to be able to get the 19 boards up, except for on one side. Haley was up on the side that had a little rock area she could stand on, I worked in the middle with a step ladder doing the two boards that were there, and Jeremy was on the other end climbing the wood "ladder" that is made from the excess wood on the side that is not flush.




We were pretty proud of ourselves when we finally got the board up. At that point the other 3 walls were also all about finished and people were beginning to start on the floor. I took a little break and ate some lunch and then got to work on the door of the house. To do the door you nail two boards in on the inside and then go our to the outside and put a chalk line between the two nails. Using the chalk line you put two nails in each board the entire way down. Then you go back inside and you nail down the nails on the inside.

We did have one very scary moment when one of our roof rafters broke in half. Yoni was on the board and fell when it broke in half....he was okay though. My roommate had a nice bruise on her thigh from the board falling on her leg. We started working on the last wall but I ended up giving my place to a Honduran woman named Martha. She really wanted to nail, she is the cousin of the lady we were building for.




 I recognized a few of the kids today. I have played with them on previous house build. If you go back to some of my posts from dump last year then you will probably see a few of the kids again. Were were having a good time playing hand clapping games again. Once Martha took my place nailing there was not a lot of areas for people to work so I went off and played with the girls.
Myself and Emily





Final round!

Kimberly and Emily..two of the children that we were building the house for. 

We finished all 3 houses and were leaving the dump area around 3. On the bus ride home we all sang songs, it was like the first fews years that I came to Honduras. I LOVE when we get to sing on the buses. It was very important that we got back to the mission house early today because we had a celebration.

At 5:15 we all met our on the deck and had a piñata for Fishers birthday. She was turning 5 years old! She came out and began walking down to the deck and we all sand happy birthday to her. All the kids had so much fun hitting the piñata. We also had some cake with our dinner.


Presents!

Cake!

Off the the Jesus Statue!

Around 6:30 we went to the Jesus statue. I will let the pictures speak for themselves for the Jesus statue. Robin there are no pictures of Tricky at the statue. He stayed back and rested.

Me and Cheyenne

Scott and Cassidy

Me and Cassidy

Jesus

Cassidy looking out over the city.

My roomies and Jake from Statefarm

Myself looking out over the city.

Scott and I

The view





1 comment:

  1. Thank you Randi, I know he's resting. Sounds like you are having a blast. Give everyone my love

    ReplyDelete