Monday, July 4, 2016

Full Speed Ahead!

Sunday's in Honduras is the day that we get a "break". I was able to sleep in until about 5:45 yesterday because buses were not leaving until 8:45...Tricky was not very happy with me because I forgot to tell him I was sleeping in, haha. We went to church in Mololoa and another group of people went to the airport to get the last round of people coming from the US.

Mololoa as I said yesterday is one of the poorest communities in Honduras but it has grown by leaps and bounds in the 13 years that I have been coming to Honduras. We are blessed to have a bridge and steps that lead up to the church building now instead of having to cross the stream on a wooden beam and climb the hill. For church services we had singing in Spanish and English and heard a message from the preacher in Mololoa. It was about 500 degrees....or at least it felt that way because I have Reid (an 8 year old) laying on my lap the entire service, haha.

The church in Mololoa.


Reid and I on the bus.





After church we went to the mall for lunch. I love going to the mall and getting some of their soft serve frozen yogurt...I have had a lot of ice cream in my day and this by far is the best! At the mall we met up with the group that came in from the airport. Then we went to Mi Esperanza. *A group that began about 13 years ago and works to improve the lives of the women, you can read more about it at www.thewomenofmyhope.org


We had a little bit of a line.

The slogan for this summer is to #behope


We got back to the Mission House around 3:30 and by 4:00 we were back to work. Even on Sunday's we have lots to do at the beginning of a trip. The group broke into two different groups one was breaking down food into food bags and the other was breaking meds down for the medical team. We counted pills into baggies, ordered the medicine, etc. My group was one of the last teams working *our meds ran out of labels so we had to hand write about 300 labels*.



Ethan counting meds.

Kittanning girls!


 300+ Labels to write! But we got it done!





Sunday's is an off day for our wonderful chefs in the kitchen so for dinner we had Taco Loco come up. Which are the best tacos in Honduras!

10pm is our quiet time and the normal time that I go in to goto bed. Last night I did not get to my room until about 10:45-11:00 because one of the 5 gal tubs of water was dropped and cracked open. So I helped find towels..which is hard when the majority of people are sleeping and do not want to be bothered.  Many people shushed me when I asked them for their towels. So we had to ring out towels and move supplies because the jug spilt right beside all of our supplies. All is good though simply was a welcome to Honduras moment for the person who dropped it.

 Barnabas notes finally are up. We were not able to put them in the
cafeteria so I had to get a little creative to get them up this year.

Today we are breaking into 4 teams: 2 construction teams, 1 hospital/food distribution, and 1 VBS/medical team.

No comments:

Post a Comment