Sunday, July 3, 2016

Off To The Races

We have more then doubled in size now! Yesterday we had about 66 people arrive from the states. We will have about 19 more arrive today and then we will be at full capacity. Our teams today broke off into 4 groups: 2 house builds, 1 airport group, and 1 group that stayed back at the mission house to organize supplies. 

Both house build groups went to Mololoa! For those of you who are new to my blog I LOVE Mololoa!! Mololoa is one of the poorest villages in Honduras that we work in. I have many friends in Mololoa that I keep up with throughout the year and have known for over a decade now!

In good fun we always like to "race" when we have house bids. Really it does not matter who wins but that the house is build to the best we can build it! The crew I was with worked on a rather small site. Normally our houses are 16X16 but we only had space for a 14X16 house. Along one side we had a dirt wall, one had a barbwire fence, one had a drop off, and one had a dirt wall and a large tree. The tree was covered in ants...but it came in handy when I couldn't reach on the ground, haha. This was the tall side of the house but I was able to nail every board on that wall thanks to the tree and my climbing skills. 

Build site


Dixon was a big help on the site! 
He worked nonstop...and he liked to work FAST!


Hanging out in the tree...Don't worry mom I didn't take pictures of me hanging off of it. 



Kittanning girls getting the floor in.


Finished product.

Due to the different size of the house it took a little longer to get the posts set. After that we got the first 3 walls up fairly quickly. Taylor had us take a short break for lunch. During which a lady came and set a child on my lap! His name was Sammy, he laid there for a little bit and then got up and left...it was a little strange. 

In Molola it is important that we really watch our bags and tools, so for a little bit I was sitting with the bags and was able to play with the children. I got to see my little Angel from previous years. I also played the hand clapping game with some of the girls and I made great friends with a girl named Angelica who was 5 years old. 

While watching bags I had a little beauty salon fun with the girls!
I think I traded 5 or 6 heads. :)

Angelica

Dixon

Me and Angel

Angel and Angelica made a seesaw out of a piece of 
left over wood. They had a great time playing on it!



In the end the house build I was on went up a little bit slower...by about an hour. Tricky's house build won the races for the day. Back at the bus I got to see my little...not so little...boy Franklin. He has a little mustache growing now! Crazy to think it has been 12 years since I first met him! When he saw me he came up and gave me a big hug. 

Franklin and I

Back at the mission house the other group was having orientation. After orientation we had dinner...dishes are a little more complicated this year with our big group of over 100! We are doing dishes in shifts to make it slightly less overwhelming. 

Today we are going to church in Molola, going to Mi Esperanze, and coming back to organize items for hygiene kits and food bags tomorrow. 

7 comments:

  1. This is Matt Fisher. Try and get a picture of Cassidy so her momma can see her. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Randi is great at getting pics of our kittanning kids :) especially the rookies! I'm sure she will have one up soon!

      Delete
    2. Randi is great at getting pics of our kittanning kids :) especially the rookies! I'm sure she will have one up soon!

      Delete
    3. Pictures of Cassidy will be up today I took some yesterday. :) I always try to get some of the Kittanning kids.

      Delete
  2. Great post Randi! Good job! I really enjoyed it! Was this Scott's house?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No this was the house saturday. Scott is building today though!

      Delete
  3. Great post Randi! Good job! I really enjoyed it! Was this Scott's house?

    ReplyDelete